Old 12-27-2018, 12:17 PM
tangowhsky
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Default When/why is it not worth getting out early?

After my current assignment ends i'll be at 17 years and able to leave and a passed over major. I had the inclination to stay until 20...but is it still worth it now.

Unfortunately, thinking 20 years and 0-5 was going to happen, I never really began educating myself on all the other possibilities. e.g., joinging the guard/reserves. I just figured i'd do my 20 followed by the second career with the airlines.

Momma is worried of my now thinking getting out soonest to get that line number is preferential, but I haven't done the proper research to know for sure yet...or even where to begin. I'm unsure on the whole process and don't even know things like; if I get out at 17 years, then get on full time with guard/reserves to get to my "20", do I still have to wait until age 60 for the check of the month?

I don't dislike what i'm doing or would be doing those last few years...i'm flying...is good! But could use some words of wisdom, lessons learned, pros and cons, etc. of considerations. Thanks all!