Old 12-28-2018, 06:49 AM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by tangowhsky View Post
After my current assignment ends i'll be at 17 years and able to leave and a passed over major. I had the inclination to stay until 20...but is it still worth it now.
Finish to 20, certainly simplified without Guard/Reserve in the mix and can focus only on where you want to live and civilian flying job that may enhance the package called quality of life.
Kids? ages? family issues? (Aging parents, family wants to move to XYZ? or are they open to ABC?, DEF?

How much longer on current assignment? Then what possible/most likely follow on orders? Flying orders best. What might be your currency when hit 20?
What are you flying now?

Can you get to your final airline job right out of this tour (Where are peers getting hired?)
Then you need to look at ANG/Reserve unit arrangements to fit airline mix. Airline domicile locations with unit locations. Which airline/Guard/Reserve combination determines where you live and commuting pain priorities.

Airline and Reserve combination is a significant life commitment and family pays for your dual status as service member and airline employee. Extraordinary to have family survive a dual commute. I lived in airline domicile through 2 airlines and chose to commute to the military reserve duty. In my circumstance that provided more opportunity to be with family. Others determine to live in Guard/Reserve location as that works better.

Economics: Have you saved up for the move after this tour ends? Go to a regional, then grab Guard/reserve duty location, then move to final airline job?

Its easy to throw dart and stay 20 and then focus on fewer variables, but throwing in the considerations above is very individual to you and your family. The answers will certainly help you determine best choices and best fit going forward.
Definitely look at the details of how your life will look if leave before 20/after 20. This is only a very rough cut of considerations.
Best in your adventure and journey!