Thread: Class Drop List
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 11:08 AM
Cyio
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by speedbrakearmed View Post
I think it's important to mention something. You like everyone as soon as they get here aspires to "fly as much as possible, upgrade ASAP, build your PIC time and get out". Not that any of that logic isn't sound, but I will tell you as much as any other line pilot here that you shouldn't burn yourself out in these pursuits. Fly your line, pick up OT when it's convenient, and enjoy your days off. We don't make enough money to sacrifice our days off to pick up OT, especially if you're a commuter. You don't want to dread coming into work and I can personally tell you that after flying 90+ hours consecutively month after month will do that to you. Be someone who likes coming into work and is able to spread that positivity out on the line. Enjoy the ride, you're going to be doing this until your 65.
This is spot on advice. While everyone sets out with the dream of flying max hours to upgrade as soon as possible, it is not a very sustainable enterprise, especially for a commuter, someone with family or both.

Keep in mind a new hire won't flow for at least six years, so just sit back and enjoy the ride, as you will quickly find that trying to always fight the system or fly max hours becomes exhausting.

Even if your goal is to get out before the flow, you have lots of people with lots more hours that need to go first, so at the very least you are looking at several years here. You will get the hours, trust me. They come slow in the beginning and then next thing you know you will be searching for ways to drop trips and maximize time home.

I know of only a handful of people that actively maintain that breakneck schedule and they are often the most ragged looking. Its a tough life on the road that much.

Anyway, that's my two cents, best of luck.