Thread: Psych Eval
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 04:05 PM
Skyrider12
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2018
Default Psych Eval

Hey guys!
I am a new pilot and new poster here and recently posted a couple threads about some issues from my past that may effect my medical. I got some great answers and feedback and now know what i have to do to get my medical, but have a couple questions.
Basically i consulted with an AMAS doctor per the advice of fellow pilots on this forum and got some bad news.
I will have to get a psych eval done and go through the HIMS process to get my medical back.
My situation is as follows: Im 25 with a PPL and hope to fly commercially, and also hold a first class medical. About 6 years ago i was arrested for being drunk in public, and had adderall on me.
I was also ticketed for marijuana possesion the following year.
I beat the rap and have no convictions and didnt report it per the advice of an AOPA attorney.
Last year i consulted with two more attorneys who both said id have to report it. So i asked around here and was referred to an AMAS flight surgeon who basically said unequivocally yes, report it, and go through HIMS.

So i understand the issues ive brought upon myself, and that this is a huge process and takes a long time. Also i undsertand my prospects of getting hired are significantly....lowered. But i still love aviation and want to fly. I am a "perfect citizen" now and dont speed / jaywalk etc kind of guy and I plan on keeping it that way.
So basically, does anyone know what the psych eval actually is? I know there are a battery of cognitive/IQ tests, but.....has anyone here actually taken them? Any advice on things to prepare for? I looked them up and it looks like ill be practicing my math skills for sure! Most seem *sorta* straight forward but the thought of my future riding on an IQ test is scary...
Sorry for the long post and a huge thanks to you all for your help and advice.
Thanks again,
Skyrider