View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 08:43 AM
DARR31
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: 1 step fwd 2 steps back

Originally Posted by crewdawg View Post
The AD just has their fingers on you just a little too much in the Reserves as compared to the ANG.
After my 22 yrs in AFRC and 6 yrs in the ANG I would say this was true. But after the last 18 months or so, not anymore.

A couple of points:

- If you are in an associate unit where the AD owns the jets, they tell you what you are going to do. At least that how it was in the 90’s in the KC-10. There is always flying and $$, but it is a lot like AD.

- If you are in a unit that owns their own jets, that is the place to be! AFRC unit equipped KC-135 was a good time. We would pick and choose when and where we flew (except for AEF time) and they usually could keep you gainfully employed. If an ANG unit has an alert mission, that will keep you paid too!

- One plus with AFRC is your AD days are all Title 10. For every 90 days you do, it reduces your retirement age by 90 days. In the ANG, AD days are either Title 10 or 32. I find it hard to get Title 10 days since most of ours are Title 32.

Now how the ANG has changed recently is with the shortage of pilots in AD. I work in a squadron that is considered deployed in-place. Us and our sister unit both where handed in-voluntary activation orders for a handful of rated personnel, mainly pilots and me being one. The story I was told, the ANG said that we could not fill them, it went back to HAF and he went VFR direct to NGB Chief and said you will fill them. So we are stuck now with filling slots annually! My understanding is the last Resreve commander sold us all out in both the Guard and Reserve to get her fourth star (was a 3 Star billet). With that, the current Sec. AF stated this fall that there is no longer AD,Guard and Reseve, but just one big family to draw manpower from, so expect 120 day deployments for all.

So I suggest finding any Guard or Reserve unit that will take you. Maybe start with unit equipped and expand out to associate. Either way you’ll have a great time and some fun flying.

Best of luck!