Old 01-02-2019, 06:47 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by 17FZ07 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I’m curious, what else does a background for a pilot consist of.

I’ve been through and passed law enforcement backgrounds. It was a headache.

They began with a large packet (~28 pages) of checkboxes and fill in the blank asking questions about everything from fights in middle school, education history, family history (relatives, kids, divorces etc), financial (list all accounts, debts, etc) crimes (arrested or not) work history (dates of employment, terms of separation, disciplinary action, list of references), driving history to personal references.

The most awkward was the neighborhood visit. The investigator randomly shows up at your house, looks around and talks to your neighbors.

There is also a polygraph and psychological evaluation.

Do commercial pilots go through the same process? I’m considering a career change and would like to prepare by organizing contact info for references and previous employers now.

Thanks
It's not like a federal security clearance or LE background check. It used to be more invasive, but labor law has brought the airlines more in line with "normal" civilian employers.

Three parts basically...

1. PRIA: Federal law, required. This requires the hiring airline to obtain specified info about from past aviation employers. There are numerous discussions about PRIA on this forum, but basically the only info shared should be related to pilot technical performance or termination for any reason. Should not include HR type info, other than termination.

2. SIDA. Federal law, required. The airline (and often domicile airport) will verify that you don't have a history of certain disqualifying convictions. They use the FBI database (and NDR?), and are only supposed to consider convictions, not arrests. It is know that in the past at least, airlines might during that process see an arrest or expunged conviction which was NOT disqualifying and then use that info to make a hiring decision.

3. Airline background check. Whatever the airline in question wants to do, as limited by by state employment law where the HQ is located (rules can vary widely by state). Today this is going to be very similar to what any normal white-collar employee might get. They might call some references and past employers, but they aren't going door to door in your neighborhood.

Also when you renew your FAA medical they check at least the NDR, details are on the form.