Thread: Regionals
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 02:37 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Irishblackbird View Post
Like I said in response to another post, why have the unions allowed the expansion of the low paying regional model over the past 15 plus years? I think regionals make up half the domestic schedules. I thought the unions charter was to promote good payin jobs and benefits?
I definitely have an issue with unions at the regional level, really alpa.

In general regional unions are a net positive. At some regionals, lack of a union would be a catastrophe.

In the case of alpa, they have a conflict of interest... mainline pilots are their real constituency, and rocking the gravy train is not really in their best interest. So no one (National, or the various MEC leaders) is going to get behind an association-wide movement to either pay regional pilots more, or bring them in house. Reality... I get paid more because regional pilots work for less. The regional system (whipsaw) ensures that. I don't want to change that at this point (already paid my dues, need to see the payoff now).

For alpa at a regional assume you will get some protection from the company, and assume your dues will contribute to the general benefit of the profession as a whole. Do not assume that there will be any wholesale organized attempt to save you from your circumstances, you have to do that for yourself, here's a link to get started: www.airlineapps.com

So you're correct on that point. I just don't think throwing out the baby with the bath water is a good idea. Although Skywest didn't need a union when I started there.