Thread: Cape Air
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 07:02 AM
IAFDOF
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2018
Position: Airline Employee

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator View Post
What type of simulator are they using? How many hours do they train in the simulator?
Unfortunately that sim’s kind of a joke. It’s one of those red bird sims that doesn’t move, has 0 terrain or buildings, and feels super numb. Great for practicing flows and emergency/instrument procedures, but not sure how it’s all that practical for learning the actual airplane. I guess the cargo door gimmick is realistic, anyway...

Originally Posted by MadDogSurvivor View Post
So the consensus seems to be that Boston is senior-ish as a base... What about the other southern N.E. bases like Hyannis, Provincetown and New Bedford? Are there FO positions there? For that matter, is there a comprehensive list of bases where FOs are assigned?
Been out of the 9K game for a bit, but I assume this still holds true: HYA, PVC, and EWB are very senior, except for PIC cargo guys in Hyannis. Junior bases in the NE are places like Rutland and Saranac. Here’s a quick list of bases in the Northeast off the top of my head:

MVY EWB HYA PVC BOS OGS SLK RUT LEB AUG RKD BHB

Where you go as an FO (or a CA, for that matter) is almost entirely based on luck, like much of this industry. While the guy with the September class may only have BIL as an option, the winter guys might have the whole Northeast open to them. It’s just right place, right time, and hoping you catch the wave of upgrades/jetblue flows just right as they vacate more desirable stations.

Last edited by IAFDOF; 01-03-2019 at 07:14 AM.