Thread: Cape Air
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 09:58 AM
IAFDOF
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2018
Position: Airline Employee

Originally Posted by TeamSasquatch View Post
Thanks for fast reply. I’ve wondered what the long term staffing plan looks like for Cape Air and even piston feeder cargo. Likely has a lot to do with these types of programs.
It absolutely does. Unfortunately the exodus of FO’s prior to 1500 hours really soured 9K on the whole idea of even hiring street SIC’s, I think. I don’t blame the guys for leaving, per se, but they really damaged that opportunity for the people behind them.

University programs that feed people from CFI to right seat to left seat to places like jetBlue will absolutely help sustain 9K, because they simply can’t compete otherwise. 135 piston time basically descreases in value after a point, so unless you have a (more or less) guaranteed move to a major, it doesn’t behoove you to stay more than a year as a CA, unless you’re a townie.

That said, I’d always recommend 9K. You’ll walk away with a PILE of interview stories, you’ll never be a better pilot, and you’ll make lifelong friends. Just do your year and move on! Plus, like I said, I hear Spirit’s an option for regular line guys now, if that’s your bag.