Thread: Regionals
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 12:52 PM
TheWeatherman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by Irishblackbird View Post
The company I worked for closed thier flight department, rather than sit around on a severance and let my skill set atrophy waiting for another corporate opportunity, I decided to give 121 a shot. I guess that makes me a poor decision maker, along with many airline/corporate pilots that have lost their jobs when a business ceases to exist or makes changes to its business plan.

Yep, seniority is how a union rewards time in service. I guess the same way they track the talent and worth of the many thousands of non-unionized CPA's, auditors, and analysts at the big four accounting firms, or the same way they do it for many thousands of non-unionized workers in IT at Google, Microsoft, and Apple. How about the thousands of pharmacist's that work in retail, or pharmaceutical companies? There are many large non-union businesses that are able to track and promote the performance and progress of their employees. It's not a new concept.
The reason I left my other career for this one was to avoid all that bull****. Do you think promotions at those companies are fair? Sure, it can be at times. But a lot of times favoritism, nepotism, good looks (yeah, I said it), political games, and back stabbing in the promotion game make it an unfair and unhealthy environment.

I came to this job to avoid that. All I want to do is to go to work, do my job, and go home without a worry in the world. I don't want to have to worry about putting extra time in, doing work from home, or making up work just to look busy/innovative all to get ahead. I leave that up to the folks at corporate headquarters at my company.