View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Uncle Bose
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Default Frauds.

Huge mistake. ERAU is a criminal organization as far as I'm concerned. Hardly anyone I know feels the experience was worthwhile. It doesn't give you any more of an edge in aviation than any other school. Everyone I graduated with that I still keep in touch with is "figuring out what to do next" or working as a CFI for $20-25 thousand a year, paying off a $100 thousand+ debt. My only saving grace was doing some work at a community college, so I only spent three semesters at ERAU.

Every word they release to the public is propaganda, including that "best aerospace program in the nation" BS. Looking more closely, that "best" aerospace program is ranked against schools that don't offer a PhD in the field, which means they didn't have to complete against TRULY good schools such as MIT, CalTech, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Penn State, etc, etc, etc. I've also heard the ERAU-originated stats you've given and they're lies, pure and simple. Not one person is hired right after graduation with fewer hours than other applicants based on the ERAU degree. For the controller pay claim, just search the web for their pay scales.

Personally, I did very well in the aeronautical science program with little effort. Why? Because it's easy. It's a bloated, padded program filled with useless classes. The math (pre-calculus and "calculus for dumb pilots") and science (two non-calculus physics classes) were high school level. Not one thing they teach requires a professor any more than the self-study material one uses for flight ratings. At the end, I graduated feeling completely unchallenged, and slightly embarrassed, thinking "I could've done a lot more." Friends of mine were struggling through REAL majors like chemical engineering and accounting/finance--majors that test you, build character and are actually useful. So, now I'm working on a master's degree in CPA accounting, at a state school.

Some deluded folks have justified the experience with "my professors were all ex-military pilots and had some great stories" or "the degree is well-rounded...you have to take all sorts of things from physics to computers." Is hearing old war stories worth a thousand dollars per credit hour? Will employers find you marketable based on one or two low-level computer classes? No, and no.

Bottom line, you'd do best to follow the advice of everyone who's posted. Get an in-demand degree at a well-ranked state school and fly at a local FBO.