View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 10:49 AM
harad
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Default Choosing a regional - QOL above all

I'm a former army helicopter guy doing a transition to fixed wing and considering my regional options (I'll have 700 hrs rotor + 250 airplane). We're in the SAV area (about 4 hours from ATL and CLT) and although my spouse's profession provides a very comfortable income, it also means that moving (e.g. to live in-base) is just not an option. We also have two young kids, which means that quality of life & scheduling is far and away my most important priority, followed somewhere by benefits, path to the majors, and take-home pay last. I realize that many advocate for choosing whatever seems like the quickest path to the majors (which makes sense), but I would trade that for having a better QOL and scheduling flexibility during our kids' formative years. Right now I'm looking at Piedmont for the low/no reserve time & likelihood of being able to hold CLT pretty quickly (looks like an easy commute although I have no idea what the loads are) or PSA for possibility of the SAP. I've also interviewed with Envoy, but it seems like it would be tough to make those bases commutable, and about half of the Republic bases would be at least a 2-leg commute from SAV. So for the highest QOL, most days off or commutable lines, what makes sense?

-Piedmont
-PSA
-Republic
-Envoy

Something else?