View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 09:48 AM
porkchopexpress
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2018

Originally Posted by Stinger6 View Post
I'd consider staying put in Redmond and driving. Fly when the weather turns bad. Suck up those first few months of reserve time with a crash pad. Crew rate at the Shilo is ~$60. Bask in the glow of your small children.

Keep as much normal as you can. Moving to Seattle sounds crazy to me; disruptive, expensive, and burdensome.
Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
All true, unless the ultimate plan is a career at Alaska. Be nice to live in base during junior years as Regional FO,Regional Ca, Major FO, and Major Ca.

That's a LOT of sitting reserve and there's better QOL if you can do it in base. And if you can solve that problem with one move....

Redmond commuting for a line holder, especially a senior line holder, would be a lot easier.
Thanks for your responses. My ultimate goal is not necessarily Alaska. I'll be casting a fairly wide net when the time comes. That being said, we don't want to move more than once if possible, and the PNW is our preferred location.

After more thought, I think staying put for now is probably the right call. That's the only decision I have to make in the next two months based on factors not discussed. It appears that commuting from Redmond to either PDX or SEA are both viable, and that decision can wait until I have an offer from Horizon, which I don't take for granted. After all, I haven't flown in over two years and a Horizon recruiter told me recently not to bother applying until I meet the recency requirement. I have a little work to do!