View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 01:21 PM
DanMarino
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by swhitlow View Post
I would continue working full time only until I get my rating. Once I get that, I would focus on flying career. My wife works so if I can make $40k we can make it work, it will be tough for a few years but I think the end far out weighs those few years of hard work. I work long hours and travel now so me being gone is nothing new.

Would you think getting ratings and then going to someone like ATP to move things along faster a wise decision? I could at least get that via student loan to help offset that cost and get hours faster via CFI. I know that’s not the best option but as I said, 3 kids, 2 dogs, mortgage lol. But we can make it work if I can make ~$40k.

Suffering for a few years I think will help us long term, family trips with free flying down the road to make memories would be great. Sucks now but long term awesome.

I just want to know I am not stupid for doing this haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m in a similar boat but 32 and just one kid. Of all the advice I’ve heard what stands out most is stay away from debt for ratings. The atp/student loan route will catch up with you during the lean times if you aren’t prepared. Seems risky if you don’t have the savings for your ratings or won’t pay as you go. But I don’t know you or your financials.