View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 06:30 PM
aa73
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Arado

MCAS is just another function of the Speed Trim. If MCAS senses a low speed condition it will trim nose down. Well, with unreliable AOA and airspeed that’s what it did. The crew prior to the accident crew did the right thing and disabled the trim when the MCAS started trimming nose down. No more, no less. Don’t fall for the Lion Air propaganda that Boeing screwed the pooch. No. Lion Air screwed the pooch by sending what should have been an unairworthy aircraft into service. And even with all that, the accident crew could have recovered by disabling the trim with the cutout switches.

It was a runaway trim scenario as a result of the unreliable AOA. And we train for that every nine months, no matter what fleet we’re on. Maybe Lion Air didn’t train that. I don’t know.

FlyDubai was a classic case of a full power TOGA after a long duty day while trimming almost full nose down, then getting completely disoriented. Pilot error.

I also read “Understanding AF447” and it’s clear that the author blames the pilots way before he blames the aircraft. And yet he does allude to the fact that the auto trim contributed to the lack of recovery by trimming full nose up.

Bottom line... I’ll fly whatever gets me the best QOL. Today that happens to be the 737 left seat which allows me to drive to work. And it’s a damn fine airplane, well built albeit with some old technology, but thats what I love about it. Nothing manly about it, I just love my ride.

No doubt I’d be more comfy in an Airbus and if it got me better QOL I’d be on it today praising its qualities too.

Every aircraft has its pluses and minuses.