Old 01-13-2019, 06:39 AM
BeatNavy
Covfefe

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by FlyGuy17 View Post
I have definitely explored the palace chase/palace front option. However, I'm leaning against it for several reasons. I really want to cut ties completely with the Air Force. I want to serve out my time, honorably separate, and never have to think about the military again. I cherish my time in the military and all the amazing friends I've made, but I've given all I can give and I'm ready to move on to the next chapter, even if it means making slightly less money due to having to pay for health insurance, etc. Also, I don't want to have to commute to my Guard job while flying for the airlines. I'd rather just focus my time and effort on being the best pilot in whatever aircraft I'm flying for the regionals. Also, I've heard it makes airlines more comfortable if they know you're never going to drop mil leave on them. I understand it's illegal for them to not hire you for being in the Guard, but that doesn't mean they won't find another excuse to not hire you if they're on the fence, right?
My $.02...if you PC/PF, get current in a tanker again and are hired into a TR/TG job, the AF will pay for your currency/recency, and your commitment to blue will not be that much longer than it is now, and, the biggest thing, it will be in a part time capacity if you want it to be. It gives you flexibility and options. I couldn’t wait to be completely out of the army and go to the airlines. Out of the IRR and everything. After a few years out, here I am in big blue. If I had mil leave and TRS while at a regional my life would have been a lot better. And as a tanker dude you’re likely in high guard/res demand. I will also say that your perspective of blue may be different as a part timer, and depending on how things shake out it may accelerate your timeline to a major. But if you could do it quickly, get back in the jet fairly quickly, even if you give it just a small trial period (until your guard adsc is up or whatever it is for requalling (full TX?)) it will help a lot imo with flexibility over waiting 1.5 years then punching. I would hands down do 3 part time guard years with an airline job over 1.5 AD years. Just my perspective. You know you and your situation best. I know the feeling of wanting to leave it all behind, forever (and the worse feeling of getting back in after enjoying straight airlines for several years). Good luck whatever you decide.