View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 07:25 PM
rswitz
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013

Just briefly ran through their website. Haven't heard of it before but seems to be a fine flight school.

I'm not sure what the cost is or what the relationship with SkyWest entails but if there is any kind of written commitment to SkyWest, I would be thourough in your research.

SkyWest is a great place to be, but I'm always weary of flight schools that have "connections" to regionals because it's unnecessary in this hiring climate.

Almost every regional is hiring all they can and committing to any one regional now may only limit your nephews options in the future when every airline is hiring.

This industry changes so much every day.
When hiring starts exploding at the majors during the next several years when he finishes flight school and his 1500 hours, I'd want to keep his options open without being tied to a regional.

My 2 cents - go visit several flight schools and talk to the instructors. Get a feel for the place. Find a few you like and choose the cheapest one. Airlines don't care where their pilots get their ratings and having 75k of debt won't help him get hired at United, nor make him a better pilot.

I went to a small mom and pop outfit in FL and spent a 5th of the price of one of these big name brand schools. I've never even been asked where I got my ratings and certainly never had issues getting hired because of it. As long as maintenance is good, instructor is good and he gets along with him, that's all that matters.

So unless SkyWest is funding the program with no strings attached, I'd look around before signing up.