View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 03:24 AM
F16Driver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Dude, you are hilarious!!

Here we are with the age old topic of how fighter pilots are better than bomber/transport/ helicopter pilots, etc. and essentially everyone else. True story: I was working on my MEI at a flight school where military pilots came to get their ATP's and pretty much head off the the airlines. We did ride alongs with the permission of the other student, and I rode along any time I could, not just on the Multi-engine training flights.

On several occasions, these fighter guys from an unnamed branch were telling my instructor how the flight was going to be conducted, and what they did and did not need to do! I was absolutely dumbfounded with their hubris... So during the ride alongs, I saw that the little Beechcraft Duchess was literally EATING these guys alive, and it took that humbling experience to actually convince them that they should just shut up and listen to this soft spoken civilian. The instructors actually competed for these types because they usually ended up taking more time to complete their ATP and the instructors all wanted the ME time and the money. I know that its bad to generalize, but stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason: It wasn't that these guys weren't awesome at what they did, but transitioning to a piston twin with no HUD or RMI proved to be a challenge for them.. But I found the root cause of their extended training times to be their arrogance. The truth is that these were all good pilots that served their Country, and we all looked up to them. But for God sakes, have the humility and respect to at least act like you can learn something from someone trying to help you. Better to keep your mouth shut and impress than to over promise and under deliver.

Which leads up to the best student I ever had and my first multi engine student... I was a fresh MEI, and just found out that my first student was going to be the Commander of all the Air Force's rotor wing training in Ft. Rucker. He had 10 combat rescues in Vietnam on the Jolly Green Giant, flew OV-10's, F16's, etc. Aside from my Dad, THIS is the man I wanted to be. And I thought to myself, why in the HELL did they give this guy to ME and what can I possibly teach HIM??? Well, it turns out that we taught each other quite alot. While he was an imposing 6'4", he was one of the most thoughtful, humble, and respectful pilots that I ever met.. Of course he was confident, but also was open to learn from others. The Duchess didn't didn't have an RMI, just a fixed card, and he couldn't fly an NDB if his life depended on it.. So I said that we should save him some money and practice instrument stuff in the C172 vs. the expensive twin. This saved him quite a bit, and he went on to get his ATP and then on to UAL.

Part of the reason why civilian operators value multi-crew aircraft experience over single pilot experience goes back to the late 1970's and the advent of cockpit resource management. Many documented accidents, and their CVR recordings, indicated that often instead of working as a crew, there were 3 pilots flying in loose formation in the cockpit. While some of the best pilots I ever met flew single pilot Metroliners, with no autopilot, in the shiznit weather of the Northeast, that prowess did not always transfer well in the crew environment: The were essentially flying single pilot in a multi crew aircraft, and needed CRM training to learn to utilize the other pilot. I was guilty of it too, and taking CRM seriously really helped.

Bottom Line: The Metro (substitute C130, C17, B52, KC135) pilot probably can't do a high yo-yo like the fighter pilot can, but the fighter pilot could probably learn a few things that the Metro pilot brings to the table, as well: Important tenets of the multi-crew environment are respect, humility, and a willingness to learn from and to trust one another. Airlines value this and it is something that comes on pretty quickly with some good CRM and crew experience.
Your post is an irrelevant response to my original one.

FACT: Pilots who washout of a fighter track (T-38, IFF, FTU) are normally sent to a heavy aircraft barring any serious issues. It doesn’t work the other way around.

So again, the MAJORITY of pilots who aren’t good enough to fly fighter aircraft are sent to crew aircraft.