View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 08:15 PM
ESQ702
Fly or Die

Joined APC: Jan 2019
Default Low Time + Part Time Jobs to Build Time?

Long time lurker and first time poster...I've done some searching around the forum but I haven't seen any relatively recent posts with the question I have (sorry if I missed some and this is a duplicate to what others have already asked).

I'm considering a career change. I'll be 39 later this year and have hated every minute of my current job (same one the last 11 years). I always kicked myself for not going the military route and then switching over to civilian flying years ago, but that's water under the bridge at this point.

I am at absolutely 0 time and will be starting on my PPL soon. I have enough income to cashflow training as I go and plan on using a private FBO-type school near where I live (in the Las Vegas area) to start.

My current job is flexible enough that I could take a few days off a week to do a second job if I wanted to. I need to keep working as I go (i.e., I'm not looking at jumping into a full-time school option like ATP because I'll keep working for now).

MY QUESTION: Is it realistic to find a low-time flying job (whether it is in Vegas or elsewhere in the U.S.) that would allow me to work on a part-time basis a few days a week on a consistent basis?

I'm guessing I'll need around 500 hrs + 25 or more hours ME time before someone would take me seriously, which I'm fine building up to, but I'd rather find a part-time option if it exists to work towards building up to 1,500 hours if that's possible and keep working my day job for now as I go.

For those who may want to recommend a CFI job, I'm well aware of that option and I'm open to doing that if nothing else presents itself when I hit 250 hrs, but I'm inquiring more about other flying jobs beyond a local CFI position with my question above.

Thoughts? Crazy idea to work and find a part-time flying gig on the side to build up to 1500 hrs?