View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 09:41 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Fixnem2Flyinem View Post
Thanks for the advice, a job at the fractional is better than being a mid level restaurant manager and that’s better than being a dishwasher. It’s all relative. Is it a cushy Major job? Nope, but making decent money to work literally less than half the year once including vacation sounds good to me.

And yes, I do fly for QX. From door to parking lot to Seattle will be a 4 hour drive at best for a SEA base. Plan on living 50 miles south of PDX in Salem. No thanks to a 5am show where I have to drive at midnight to get to work on time or again, lose a day off.

This is the funny thing. If you read the threads from the past on here, the Fracs were on top while airlines sucked. Now it has shifted and no one wants to go Fractional, all because of money. Also years ago during the downturn many got stuck at a regional and were happy to just have a job, now people are looking at guys funny that have been at a regional for a long time asking them “so, why haven’t you moved on?”. All the regionals have shifted in terms of who is king of the suck vs a decent place to build time. My point is, today’s turd can be tomorrow’s nugget. I’m not saying a Fractional will ever top a major unless a major is BK, but maybe the Fractionals will get better in the next 5 years as well. If not, I’ve done my research. I can live with the payscales that they advertise, I also don’t have an ego to be a CA like most pilots do. If I can fly a plane, support my family and provide the necessities while having a crap ton of time off such as 7 days at a time, I will be much happier than driving to SEA for that 5am show making all that money. Again, A choice being made knowing full well what I am missing out on, life is too short to keep sacrificing the now for then.
Just please do your research, talk to folks who work in fractionals today. Go to a jet FBO, there will probably be some hanging out.

I have a similar length drive, with some seniority I'll mitigate it eventually. Might even buy an airplane to commute to work some day, added bennie of sitting reserve at home.