View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 05:12 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by GeeWizDriver View Post
For identifying pilots who are good at yanking and banking and going Mach 2 with their hair on fire, this is probably true in military flight training.

But in general, many of these ace fighter jocks SUCK in a business jet cockpit which IS what we're talking about. Most of them are arrogant, selfish pricks who climb and descend and turn as if they're engaging a Mig and they land the jet like a third wire trap on a heaving carrier deck and can't get along with anybody.

One notable exception in my experience is a Marine Harrier pilot who is funny enough and crazy enough to wash the fighter pilot stink off himself.

The other exception is a good friend who is a ring knocker and was a career FB-111 driver. The ironic thing about that is, the arrogant pricks in the F-16 community didn't consider the 111 a fighter...

I have flown with a LOT of C17 and C130 drivers and I would rather have them or a civilian trained pilot sitting next to me for a week, hands down.
But a FB-111 wasn’t a fighter...

Now some of you guys are making the same generalized statements about fighter-attack guys.

Btw - this whole you haven’t flown as part of a team because you were a fighter-attack guy is a bunch of malarkey too.
Just because the guy might not have been in the same cockpit as you doesn’t mean you didn’t work with other flight members, other support aircraft, guys on the ground you might have been supporting, or even GCI.

Transitioning to a multi-crewed cockpit was easy IMO.
Oh yeah....I have to ask the rest of the crew if the temperature is ok :-)

I too find the civilian flying (and in my case the rules of P135) to be a PITA. I’d like to try some of those other types of flying too but the QOL would suffer right now for others and that is a higher priority right now.