View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 03:59 PM
Qotsaautopilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by Flightcap View Post
All I'm saying is this: there are plenty of perks that we could negotiate for that would make our new hires' lives easier. They aren't necessities, I get that. Over the course of a career our hourly rates more than make up the cost as compared to regional airlines, I get that. But gestures count. Especially when many people take a pay cut their first year to come here, small financial perks help make that transition a lot easier.

I was fortunate enough to be able to survive new hire pay quite well. But not every new hire is so fortunate, especially some of the regional FOs that we picked up last year. Purchasing new uniform items is a big chunk of change especially when you're on a pitiful ~$1700/month new hire salary to begin with. That's a major reason why you see a lot of our junior guys without the standard uniform.

If the company cares about us following the uniform policy they can either start enforcing it or make it easier for new hires to comply. If they don't care, I don't care. I look like enough like a professional pilot that people ask for directions, want their kids to take pictures with me, and make room in the boarding area for me to enter the plane. That's good enough for me. If it's not good enough for you, you can stop me in the hallway and give some uniform advice in person.
It’s not about you though that’s the point. When we all aren’t uniform we look like a bunch of discount pilots together.