Thread: Smoky bay air
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 09:48 AM
Toddzilla
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

I worked there for a year from '15-'16, so some of my info might be a bit dated as management has turned over since I was there but the owners are the same.

The owners are two brothers, really great guys who want to run a quality and safe business for their customers and employees. The maintenance was excellent while I was there, honestly far better than I was expecting when I moved to AK for a seasonal air taxi job.

They have a fairly extensive risk assessment tool that the pilots use to help with their go/no-go decisions in making a flight and they are especially conservative in Nanwalek because of the runway, terrain, and winds you can get there. That being said, you will spend a lot of time at 500', and a lot of time getting the crap kicked out of you by turbulence when it's blowing out of the east. The longest leg when you're flying the bay is around 20 minutes, so you're going to log a ton of landings. The runways get pretty slick in the winter, but they won't let you loose until they think you're ready.

In terms of crossing the Inlet, nobody would give you grief if you couldn't hit your crossing altitudes, but it wasn't uncommon to fly all the way up to The Forelands to cross when the weather was lower. I wanna say you only needed a couple thousand to cross there, versus something around 10k or 10.5 to go straight to Silver Salmon and Chinitna.

The work is fast paced- way faster than anything I ever did out west or now in southeast. They recently changed up their schedules a bit to make it a bit easier to stay on time when you have all stops, which I would imagine helps a lot to prevent falling behind when you're throwing freight, changing seats, etc., three to four times an hour.

Pay was pretty low, but I believe that has come up since I left. The only benefits of any kind that I had while there was a cabin only agreement with Ravn. No insurance while I was there, though they were always talking about how they wanted to offer it.

Overall, Homer is a very cool little town, and the flying at Smokey Bay was without a doubt the most fun flying job I have ever had. Flying and getting to know the regular passengers was super fun, and I miss the beach work in the summers. If you would rather sleep in your own bed every night rather than do shift work or live in Anchorage, it's a great place to be.