View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 06:34 AM
DLax85
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Gear Monkey

Originally Posted by pig on the wing View Post
I often jumpseat to Japan to visit my inlaws. Very simple but I have a few suggestions: Firstly, email the ramp in NRT in regards to your inbound and outbound flight. 2ndly, let the crew know you are jumpseating for personal travel rather deadheading--a capt got worried that I wasn't on the gen dec. 3rdly, if you are taking the shinkansen (bullet) trains, you can get a pass for a very discounted rate--do a search for JR trains in japan for the link.
Immigration is a breeze both inbound and outbound--all you need is your ID but a printout of your jumpseat confirmation would be a good idea too.
The ramp is well versed with us who travel over there!
Ganbattekudasai!
POTW - Domo summimasen!

Couple of other questions for you....

Have you tried jumpseating on other carriers (i.e. pax) besides FDX?

If so, logistically easier or more difficult --- which would you recommned?

Also, I live on the east coast --- getting to MEM or IND is easy for me with A300s to both twice a day, which domiciles have you found it easiest to get to NRT --- MEM, LAX, ANC?

Finally, are the JR passes they sell in the US still good for "1 week" only?

I had guests who visited me in Japan in the late 80s purchase those before they arrived, but they only seemed like a "good deal" if you were in fact taking the Shinkansen somewhere --- if you were riding mostly local trains during your visit it still seemed cheaper to purchase tickets a la carte.

Thanks,

DLax