View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 05:44 PM
atpcliff
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

Originally Posted by mike sierra View Post
Hello Guys, the last company thread is current closed.

I got an offer to fly the 737 for Southern Air...not sure what do to
I would strongly recommend NO.

2000 TT, 500 Turbine SIC, college degree, no skeletons in closet and no red flags (I hope so)

I'm at a whole owned forever on reserve commuting...what kind of gets old, however if everything works out I should have a spot on AA in 10 years lol.
It will be a LOT sooner than that, especially if you apply everywhere, including AA. AA has hired some pilots from their own regionals, outside the flow.

I'm a little familiar to ACMI operations...and the lack of operations some times. I'm trying to evaluate my decision...also, they told me the 737 is CVG based...so should I suppose is not a commutable position?? Home based like the 777 would for sure be a huge advantage.
You will have Gateway Travel, so you just show up at your local "Gateway" airport, and show them your boarding pass.
The 777 will lose Home Basing soon, and go to Gateway Travel instead...Gateway Travel is not as good as Home/Gateway Basing.

Also, not sure if the pay would be really a raise...is it possible to fly above guarantee? What about upgrade times?
The pay is pitiful. I think they are upgrading everyone, so they have more incentive to stay, but you don't fly much, so it takes a long time if you are well below PIC mins.

Anyone could help me to make an educate decision?

I'm aware of the current Atlas situation and the lack of a contract...not sure if it's a good bet going there hopping for an improvement soon
This is how it is:
1-Atlas 747
2-Southern 777
3-Atlas 767
25-Southern 737.
Atlas 767 could be number one if you live in CVG, or want to move there, and just do domestic hub turns.
Note: Atlas does passenger flying, and are buying more passenger planes.