View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 07:39 AM
sigler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2012

Originally Posted by MysteriousMrX View Post
Had a flight the other day (fly CRJ-900) ..

Other question, re: required landing length.
We need a certain length to stop the aircraft, but we add 60% to be legal and safe. ACARS will say our min length is, let’s say 3000’ but 4800’ is the required. SO, if you if you get let’s say, a Spoileron fail caution or whatever, you add 20% to the landing distance. Is that 20% of the lower or higher number? (Read an ASAP where a crew couldn’t land in SBA because adding the 20% put them at needing more runway length than was available; they diverted)
If ACARS is in-op, we use the dispatch release which only has the distances with the 60% added already, correct? So if we had to add 20% do we add it to the release’s numbers? Or figure out what the min landing length is off that number and add 20% to that?

I’m not sure I got your question correctly, but I as far as I understand, landing within 60% of the runway is for dispatch purposes only. Once you’re airborne, you use whatever your company provides for calculating your in-flight landig distance, with the actual conditions at the time including any failuers you may have had enroute. In addition to the company-provided software you may have on board, the QRH should have a section for calculating in-flight landing distances with failures.