View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 05:35 AM
sigler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2012

Originally Posted by MysteriousMrX View Post
No.. no MEL. we’re in flight. All is good. ACARS says runway is 8500’ long, so I guess we need 5100’ to stop. But given our weight, winds, etc.. it says we can conceivable stop in 3500’. Now we’re descending and we get a caution message and run the QRH. It says add 20% to the landing distance. Am I adding 20% to 3500 or 5100? (I know either way I can land.. but I want to be right about this)

Question 2: same scenario but ACARS went no-comm and I’m relying on the release. It says dry runway at this weight requires 5250, let’s say. Do I add 20% to that? If that’s the case then I should be adding 20% to the higher number w/ ACARS, right?
Once you’re in flight, you no longer use the numbers on your release. I am not sure what method your company uses for figuring out in-flight performance calculations (mine uses Airbus’ FlySmart on ipads), but regardless of what it is, it will be derived from the same source the QRH uses. So you can always rely on the QRH. There should be a section for landing distances with failures in there somewhere. If there isn’t, you just use the regular landing distance section and multiply whatever result you get by the factor listed for that particular failure, and then by 1.15.