Thread: Taxes
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 07:08 AM
JamesBond
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2015
Position: A350 Both

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
The veracity of this statement is undisputed, however...if you write a check for $1,000, that means the government gave you a free loan. That loan, accumulated over 12 months, so effectively it was a $500 loan for the year.....at .5% interest rate on passbook savings accounts you effectively saved yourself a whopping $2.50....for the year!.. Now, here's where perspective comes in....as you are writing that $1000 check and hoisting that free beer that uncle sugar bought you(if you drink bud light at happy hour prices), are you happier for the "free" beer or would you be more than $2.50 of upset if you were getting a $1000 refund.

As for me,....I'll take $1000 refund even though I know I gave the government a "free loan".....now if we get to "the Carter years" of a misery index, and interest rates are 16%......a whole nother story
Ummmmm it was my money to begin with. The .gov didn't 'give' me anything. They just stole it later. We could argue this for some time, and believe me I love the debate, but I don't think I will change your mind, and you certainly won't change mine. I'll take that money and invest it and make significantly more than $2.50/$1000.