View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 06:25 AM
Choppersnplanes
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by BAJ135 View Post
Well I may have misspoke about this being the perfect job for you if you lose your mind flying up and down the same road for 6 hours. If that bothers you then you aren’t going to like the job. If you can get past that and flying a C-206 or UAS for the next 20 years doesn’t bother you then go for it. The information you seek is all over the internet. Do some research, talk to a recruiter, and make the determination on whether the job will work for you. You will have a steady check (May have to wait for backpay when the government is shutdown), descent benefits, and a retirement. As far as your own bed most nights that is really location specific. Until you know your branch assignment it would be difficult to determine how much traveling you would do.

I’d ask some pretty pointed questions if you do talk to the recruiter. They will tell you exactly what you want to hear. I’d start with your initial duty location. Most people would consider it a less than desirable location but I wouldn’t worry about that because you can transfer in 3 years. It only took me 6 years to get out of my first duty location and it happened quickly because instead of continuing to chase prime locations I accepted another less desirable local.

You would have to write a novel to explain everything that is wrong with this agency in one place. I wouldn’t let these message boards and the fact that 100s of people have fled the place in the last couple years deter you. This job might very well work for you. You’re the only one who can make that determination. Good luck with the job hunt! If you do decide to pursue the job and get hired please come back in a few years and let us know how it’s going!
BAJ135 I really appreciate the feed back. That traffic watch job was a LONG time ago. I’ve had the opportunity to see a few boarder missions, and If I had to choose between that and traffic watch. Definitely not traffic watch. I think I’ve flown almost every type of CBP aircraft out there except for the Dash and MQ-9 and any of them are better than that traffic watch C-172. That was a great time builder job though.

I’ve done more research on this AIA job than most. A lot of things have to fall into place for this work out.