Old 02-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Douglas89
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2019
Default Career Change + Anson Aviation-Sugar Land, TX

Hello all,

I am a 30 year old project manager in the construction industry. I make good money and find construction interesting, however I do not have a passion for what I am doing. I have always wanted to be a pilot. Was about to join the military out of high school to do rotary. Decided not to and ended up getting a degree in business management. I have done a couple discovery flights in both fixed and rotary.

I have been seeing a career counselor which I feel is helpful to some degree but ultimately there is only so much guidance they can give you. I have done a lot of reading on this forum (and elsewhere) and have talked myself into flying professionally and out of it (depending on whose post you read).

My fiance and I had a sponsor couple for our marriage preparation (Catholic) and the husband is a captain at a Major flying narrow body. He was a Navy fighter pilot doing carrier missions. (Incredible stories....) So I had a good conversation with him about getting into this industry. (The whole scheduling thing every month still confuses me....)

My game plan now is obtain a class 1 medical certificate to make sure no red flags come up with that (there shouldn't be). Then I will start training for my PPL after I get married at the end of March. I live In Sugar Land, TX which has a small airport (with a surprisingly huge 8,000' runway). There is a flight school housed out of that airport, Anson Aviation. I did a discovery flight there. They have a very nice facility. There are not many reviews on this place online.

Realistically, this would be my best option for training as it is only a 5 minute drive from my house (Next closest flight school would be probably 45 minutes).

I will get my PPL and after that I should have a much better idea if this really is for me. (Currently between my discovery flights I have 2 hours fixed and 1 hour rotary). All of my training will be performed while working full-time at my current job.

My question is: does anyone have any experience training at this facility? Has anyone been a CFI there as well?