Old 02-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Douglas89
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post
Just a word of advice from a fellow Career Change guy.

A discovery flight isn't a love of flying. The most it will tell you is if you should spend the money to get your PPL. Don't commit to more than that. Get it while you're still working and making a decent income.

If you've gotten that far and you think career is the way to go, do the same thing to get your Instrument Rating while still being employed.

Zero to Hero doesn't work out for a lot of people for a lot of reasons. Don't let it cost you a massive financial mistake, a well paying career and/or your marriage.

God Bless,
-Jay

I understand and agree. I will only be committing to getting my PPL first. Then if it still seems the right path, I will obtain my Instrument Rating. I would hope by that point I would have a strong grasp on whether I still want to do this before dropping $$$ on my commercial rating.

It seems the safest most logical thing for me to do is stay in the construction industry as a project manager but a different type of construction.

Supposedly construction is hurting for good assistant project managers and project managers (I know it is hard for us to find good PM's...). They say for every 1 person that enters construction 3 people are leaving. A good 5-10 yr PM can get around 100-120k and a senior PM around 120-150k (depending on who you work for and what type of construction)