View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 06:33 AM
Big E 757
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: A320 Left seat

Originally Posted by captjns View Post
No no no... you filthy expat.... You will never be hired by a US Legacy! Paradigm shift????
I think you guys are talking past each other....when the guys on here say no one at NAI will get hired at a legacy, I think most are talking about the guys who went to OJM (?) aviation. The contractor in FLL hiring 787 pilots for NAI. I don’t think they are expats. OJM was paying 787 Captains around $100 an hour. Those are the guys Andy et.al. are referring to.

No one is upset about the guys who went to China or the UAE to fly when they were furloughed, and at the time, Emirates and Etihad were paying pretty well. Expats in general are free to fly for whomever they want to and as you know, China is paying top dollar for pilots.

The guys who took a job at OJM in FLL for peanuts, those guys, it feels to most of us, were willing to take a job paying multiples less than industry average, just to fly a 787, and in the process, had the potential to hurt the US industry. It feels like they were trying to cut in line. Luckily, NAI proved that low prices can still cause a multi billion dollar loss.

I’m with the other guys. I hope they learn their lesson about taking a job with a scumbag contractor that has garbage pay rates. It’s also true though, that if we are going to get angry at them for agreeing to work for lower wages, we also have to be angry with the ULCC’s like spirit, Frontier, and JetBlue.
The difference is that those guys/girls were fighting for, and recently achieved much better rates so the disparity in pay isn’t that great anymore.

There is a big difference between an expat Pilot, and a guy working for OJM, in my opinion.

Have a great day, everyone.