View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 08:26 PM
Gordie H
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

It’s been over 25 years since I started flying so I’m probably not the authority on the best way to get started these days. But from what you wrote, I’d say your best bet would be to just finish up the degree you have going now. Meanwhile, you can get going on your Private Pilot’s license at a local FBO. Biggest thing there is to find an instructor you like and that can explain things so you understand. If you still have the passion for flying after the privates, go for the Instrument (then the Commercial, and so on and so forth). And if at some point in training you lose the passion or it’s just not what you thought it would be then maybe time to reconsider (imo, flying is flying and if you don’t enjoy flying small planes, you won’t like flying big ones either).

Regarding the degree, most major airlines just want a Bachelor’s (doesn’t really matter in what). The only exception might be Delta…from what I understand they’ll give weight to someone who went to a top tier school, completed a challenging curriculum, etc. But I wouldn’t worry about that too much…good luck, have fun

Oh yeah, your pops might know a thing or two about the subject