View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 11:09 PM
FXLAX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
This is not an exhaustive list and I’m not 100% sure I interpreted what I have correctly, but here’s a few things that may have unintended consequences to overall QOL.
I’ve operated under 117 but I’m not sure how it would impact the cargo world, which is why I asked.

[*]9 hours block unaugmented in certain situations
This is true when acclimated time of report is between 0500-1959
[*]13 hours block as a 3-pilot crew
What is the maximum under current rules?
[*]Mandatory 56 hours off after any Europe or Asia trip longer than 7 days.
What is required under current rules?
[*]Mandated rest period timing for flying crew to rest during augmented ops.
2 consecutive hours of rest in 2nd half of FDP for pilot landing and 90 consecutive minutes rest for PM
[*]Potential issues with night hub turn schedules due to restrictions on 3 consecutive night events.
I don’t see any issues here.
[*]117 appears to not allow A-reserve as we know it since 117 will require 12 hours notification for reserves called on any typical am launch (no idea if this will end up being good or bad). Seems like they’d just put a bunch of the A reserves on airport standby every night.
Unless I’m misunderstanding you, I don’t think there is any limitation on short call reserve that prevents crew scheduling to keep our current A-reserve.

Perhaps you’re concerns are more about what management would have to do to be in compliance? For example, your concern about night hub turns being restricted to 3 consecutive nights isn’t an issue as long as management complies with all the requirements. This would be a good thing for pilots, not a detriment. Many pilots said that schedules would be a lot worse under 117. In my limited experience, it was on balance a good thing for pilots compared to 121 rules.