View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Prettywhacked1 View Post
I’m not telling you what to do, or where to do it, but........

When I was on Terminal Leave after months of helping in Current Ops, I took the ATP written and FE written (yeah, I’m old) at one of those AllATP mills that tests at an FBO (FTY, I think)......no prob.....

As far as the practical, I’d steer clear of those National places...I’d find a nearby (not sure your locale) airport with a training school, and ask about if the local APD can give ATPs, and lay out your situation to him.....odds are he or she will give you a good plan for prep.....I used the OUN airport, has a big aviation school for OU.....instructor knew a DAL CA who would let me rent his BE55 for a few hours, flying the profile, then next day jumped in with APD and....TAH DAH......got my ATP..............this was almost 20 years ago, so unsure if this is still possible.......

Just sharing.........good luck!
Yeah find a smaller school who specializes in ATP's (ask around), or find a local DPE or professional instructor who knows a DPE. Don't jump into the hopper at a puppy mil. Not worth a stupid bust because they didn't prepare you right or the examiner was having a bad day.