View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 03:00 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by DarkSideMoon View Post
I read the report, it’s just been at least six years. Good point, my bad. My shaker is AOA derived and I forgot that that’s not how the -8 works.
The NTSB report indicates that the airplane had about 1/2" of ice, with icing reported in multiple PIREPS as light to moderate, and that both crew members commented on the amount of ice. An ice detection indication was received prior to shaker activation and autopilot disconnect.

The crew had activated the ice switch for the stall warning, which reset the AoA indication (which also uses a number of other inputs). The crew had not been trained for tailplane stalls, and the manufacturer is adamant that the Q400 is not susceptible. It's also covered in the report.

Regarding the 1500 hour "rule," it's the basic requirement for the Airline Transport Pilot certificate. Setting a requirement for airline applicants to meet the requirements of the ATP certificate, which has had that requirement for many decades isn't really much of a stretch. Raising the standard to ATP standards isn't arbitrary, either, given that it's been a baseline standard for decades.