View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 12:11 PM
vdawson
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Originally Posted by Cujo665 View Post
Remind me again where in all the training a tail stall triggers a stick shaker that’s set on AOA for the wing?

He responded exactly as they were training transport category crews at the time, that a shaker is not stalled... it’s a warning of extreme slow flight and an impending stall... that max power and holding altitude will fly you out of the slow flight condition.

The only thing I can come up with to explain her reactions is that during stall recovery training, while going to max power and holding altitude they eventually return to clean configuration; either that or she went into go-around thought processes.

In either case, both were hired at low time and gained their “experience” watching an autopilot fly.
I agree with your viewpoint completely. We are taught to recognize low airspeed in the first 5 hrs of flight training. It is inconceivable to me how they could have let their airspeed decay to that point or how the stick shaker didn’t alert them to that fact. The nose also did not drop, which is what happens in a tail stall. None of the pilot control inputs really made sense, but when a shot of adrenaline hits you the average person falls back to what they have done repetitively in training. The record does show that they had been trained extensively on how to recognize and recover from a tail stall. They mucked it up, no doubt, but I was just adding context to the conversation, not defending their actions.