View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Flogger
Part of the problem

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: CRJ200 CA

Originally Posted by rswitz View Post
Hey guys, I'm a current E175 FO at SkyWest. Looking at XJT. I'm DEN based but will be moving back east in about a year.

I have a good chunk of CC debt and with my expensive rent in Denver, seems like I'll never dig myself out. The 27k bonus would be an easy way out.

The way I see it:

Pros of going to XJT:
1. Bonus. Pay off my debt. Save for house down payment.
2. Career progression with United.
3. Seems like a good contract.

Pros of staying at SkyWest:
1. Upgrade way sooner, but will be LGA or ORD based and will have to move anyways.
2. Won't have to start over with seniority
3. Won't have to go through initial again and fly the 145.

I'm not sure if/when I'd be able to fly the 175 at XJT but that would make the move a lot easier.

That bonus is a big motivating factor for me. Would I be shooting myself in the foot by leaving?

Thanks.
To the OP: You do realize the bonus is taxed? So, you can pay off maybe 16K in credit card debt?

You'll incur moving expenses, etc.

Find a cheaper place in CO for now. There's always a cheaper place.

Upgrade quick. Live on your FO pay and put all the CA pay toward the debt.

Try to shop the credit card or talk to your bank and family about refinancing the debt.

And cut up your credit card until it's paid off. Don't cancel the credit card because that will hurt your credit rating. Use a debit card until the credit card is paid off. That will guarantee you don't build a balance.

Once the credit debt is paid, call your credit card company and report you cut the card up a while back and you need a new card.. Then get rid of the debit card, because they are not as safe as a credit card, theft-wise.

Then call Dave Ramsey and brag.