View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 12:27 AM
cheap
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
For clarity, I was not complaining about CIP per se, but rather the USAF conspiring with airlines to manage the comings and goings of pilots.

CIP only provides a windfall for pilots or other unionized, seniority-based jobs like possibly truck drivers.

Most folks who take a white-collar job while on CIP will not return to increased pay and quality of life accumulated in their years of absence to finish the mil commitment/retirement. They'll be lucky to return to the same job at all.

I see a huge opportunity for airmen to utilize CIP to attend school full time in order to pursue a commission after their return, but didn’t bother mentioning that as it’s outside the scope of relevance for APC readers. I’ve got a buddy that is in CIP now growing his crash pad business, trying to generate some residual income for the rest of his career. It could be good for someone that knows they’re going to stick with it until retirement but needs to care for a dying family member now or wants to be a stay-at-home parent the last few years before their kid is in school full time (or doesn’t want to be pregnant or nursing while on active duty).

There are windfalls to be had for all kinds of scenarios, and it’s nice that we at least have the option. FWIW, I also applied to TERA a few years back (but was denied, some BS about not being over 15 years of ACTIVE time even though I was over 15 of service, I guess beggars can be choosers) and milked my GI Bill for ~$70k - I’m all for working the system within the limits they’ll allow! But yes this is especially ripe for pilots now considering the hiring environment and USERRA protections.

I really don’t see any danger to USERRA for anyone else from CIP usage if Guard/reserve guys “getting tagged” (volunteering) for orders hadn’t already, especially with voluntary furlough rolling into USERRA protections at recall earning regular ARC dudes active duty retirements with 10+ years of airline hiatus within the last decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk