View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 11:51 AM
mjpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006

Originally Posted by Brody View Post
LOL . . . do I really need to?

The hotels, with the exception of a select few - are sub-par in every way. Overall location, cleanliness, access to food, workout facilities - I could go on and on.

Most companies I'm familiar with don't do this to their crews. Most companies I'm familiar with don't treat their pilots like Mesa chooses to - with contempt. And that's from the top down.

Plenty of good people at Mesa - no doubt about it. But that doesn't make up for the nonstop hostile atmosphere. Other regionals are bad - but they're not this bad.

Every time one of us (like you) say it's 'good enough' - it just lowers the bar.

And every time one of us chooses to stay at Mesa for a career because of selfish reasons - we lower the bar even further.

Since the beginning of my flying career, I've been told that pilots tend to eat their young. Nowhere is this more true (in my opinion, anyway) than at Mesa. Zero understanding of - or interest in - commercial airline labor/management relations. Not only was I there while some of the more recent stuff took place, I have read many, many books on this subject. I've met a few of the major players - and had the opportunity to pick their brain. For whatever my opinion is worth here, we are just giving away nearly everything and turning this job into a low-wage blue-collar job. When I say 'we,' I also include our Barbie & Ken version of ALPA.

The money is there - even at the regionals. Passengers and cargo have to be moved. If we stand our ground, we'll win. But the other side knows we won't stand our ground - that we'll cave.

We always do
You worked at WheelsUP, didn't you? Please describe the hotels there.

I never said that MESA puts us in plush hotels. I am the first one to make an API report for Dumps that we used to stay in, or still use.

However, my seniority allows me to bid for trips with the nicer hotels/layovers.

Hilton, Marriot, and IHG Properties, even the occasional Sheraton. No, nothing luxurious. Yet, I am having a hard time finding a reason to fill out an API report.

Unfortunately, lots of crews prefer a unhealthy free breakfast over a fancy room where nothing is free.

I surely hope that you, along with your entire crew, fill out those API forms, at each and every unhappy places that MESA forces you to stay in.

I takes less than 3 minutes of your precious time for each report.