Thread: CFI or Mokulele
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 06:51 AM
captjns
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by themenace321 View Post
Hi,
If I have about a year to time build to my minimums,
would spending 4 months for CFI and not being able to start time building after, or started flying part 135 once I am commercial rated?

Flying commercial might be appealing in a way where I dont have to spend another 10k and 4 months for CFI training, but looking at a bigger pictures flying part 135 might not get as many hours as being a CFI.
SIC is not required on the C-208. Pay for SIC will be rather low, and not meet the cost of living in the PHNL area. That said, you be living in the minus. Bottom line, you’ll take a hiatus in building quality time. Its tantamount to those who think being an International Relief Officer (IRO) for an airline is quality time. IRO time is deducted from total time.

You should take the view that you are investing money in your career. You’ll realize a return on your investment be it through flight instructing, charter pilot, and eventually as an airline pilot.

You may pay a premium to earn your CFI with American Flyers, ATP, Flight Safety, etc. Search around to determine how much you need to invest in your career. Talk to CFIs at your local airport.

You can do a lot of preparation work on your own. Although the weekend ground school courses for the FoI and CFI written is a good investment.

Good luck.

Last edited by captjns; 02-17-2019 at 07:01 AM.