Old 02-18-2019, 07:56 AM
Boeing Aviator
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: B777 CA

Originally Posted by captjns View Post
SIC is not required on the C-208.

Good luck.
At Southern Airways and Mokulele, they both require first officers per their FAR 135 Operations Specs. All logged time as SIC counts towards your total time and in most cases Cross Country time. So all your time logged counts towards ATP minimums.

I’m mentoring a few pilots at each carrier. You can log up to 100 hours a month at Southern. Southern just announced they are purchasing Mokulele but will operate both separately.

Southern has bases in Mid Atlantic and the South so much cheaper living expenses then Hawaii. Plus you’ll get 6 to 10 legs a day in a 2 pilot 135 Regional Airline flying in lots of weather and into busy airports. In my opinion best experience you can get and much better then CFI experience.

Southern typically hires FO’s at 300 hours and at 1200 hours (135 mins) upgrades to captain. I think you fly a little less maybe around 80 hours a month at Mokulele. Once they hit 1500 hours they are scooped up by all 121 Regionals flying RJ’s.

So if you could get on at either one of these airlines, I’d say better off then CFI. 80 to 100 hours a month year round is very difficult to average as CFI. Plus your getting 2 pilot airline type experience.

If you can’t get either one of these two airlines or a high time monthly average at a 135 operation that requires a SIC per their ops specs (so you can legally log all flight time) I’d go the CFI route. Or get CFI build some time then go to one of these airlines.

My two cents, good luck!

Last edited by Boeing Aviator; 02-18-2019 at 08:07 AM.