View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 06:30 AM
Long Landing
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Not in HR at the majors but I do recruitment at the regionals. For those of you who think hiring right now isn’t a problem I can tell you you’re wrong. I recruit for Endeavor and even with pay rates being where they are, the DGI program, etc. there is still a desperate need for pilots that we cannot fill. When we filled our classes a lot of that had to do with taking pilots from other regionals, not new pilots into the industry. Going to the recruitment events at colleges and such is where you see the reality of the situation. In a normal day at a major college such as UND, Riddle, Western Mich, etc. you might talk to 25-30 students. Of those 25-30 about 10% can usually be hired and start class within 6 months. Times that by 2-3 recruiters at each event and you’re looking at maybe 5-7 students per school that can be hired. The problem is the drop off of students in their sophomore year who realize that either the career isn’t worth it or they are just downright bad at flying. Gotta figure as well that 10% of people coming out of college are “unhireable” by the majors (several check failures, criminal issues such as a DUI, etc.). There a regionals out there who have no pilots on reserve or minimal (2-3) reserves per day. They can’t staff the flying and need to junior man or offer 300% pay to get people to fly more. Some places even have guys flying 90-95 hours of block per month until they can’t do it anymore just to staff the flying. Be it a pay shortage or a pilot shortage the problem is that eventually the well at the regionals will run dry. It is impossible to recruit 3,000+ new pilots into the regionals every year. It simply cannot be done.