View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 10:40 AM
Name User
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Originally Posted by Andy View Post
You have to be careful about that article and stats on that kind of stuff. It's all statistics and if you've ever taken a class in stats, the teacher likely stated on day one that figures don't lie but liars can figure.
Depending on how you slice and dice federal spending, the various studies will either count or not count things like military bases, national parks, social security payments, and other items where there's federal spending but isn't the same as providing food stamps, welfare, Medicaid, etc.

Basically, tell me what you want to prove and I'll make the numbers 'work out' by counting/not counting items that aren't necessarily pertinent to the discussion.

Should we count the $3.5 Billion federal grant to California for their [s]SFO-LA[/] Merced-Bakersfield HSR MSR Low Speed Rail? Should we count payments made to states to build/maintain roads and airports?
Side note: I will be curious to see what it costs CA taxpayers annually to subsidize the operation of the rail to nowhere - I will not be surprised to see the entire project mothballed within a few years of completion.

If you just count everything, it distorts the numbers. If you totally cherry pick what you include, it distorts the numbers.
I totally agree but his argument was on payroll taxes paid. It's indisputable that the high tax states are the high income states. Because he lives in a low tax state but earns a high income doesn't mean the majority of the state is like that.

Here is another one with similar numbers:

https://www.money-rates.com/federal-...-by-state.html