View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 09:01 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by FlyingHercs View Post
Good luck finding any current, non 20+ year, Navy or Marine Corps big Wing (P-8 or C-130) guy with 4-5k hours. 1600-2200 hrs is about all one could expect if getting out in the 8-12 years of service range. Can’t say I know anyone in the 07’-12’ peer group with much over 2000 hrs.

It’s not the Air Force. Hours aren’t as easy to come by. Guys leaving after a first tour are at around 1300 TT with 500 PIC. Then you have to go to the RAG, flight school (T-6, C-12, or T-44 so slightly less valuable), or manage a second tour to get the rest of those hours. Trying to break 1k PIC in the P-8/C-130 world is a real challenge these days (guys coming in post heavy Iraq and Afghanistan flying) for anyone looking to get out at the end of their original contract.

Maybe the regionals are in all our future...or it’s a good ploy by the Navy/Marine Corps to make us stay longer to get more hours. I don’t know about you, but I’ll take my chances on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was talking about what hours would get you hired, not how much you could get in ten years in the military. Those numbers used to be the same but not necessarily any more... the trend is now set that you go to the regionals if you're a bit short on hours or resume bullets.

I was also talking about typical numbers, not the exceptions. I don't know what MPRA guys are getting hired with, haven't seen one in the reserves in a long while.

Concur that the whole package is considered, not just hours.