View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 04:25 PM
OKLATEX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: B767 FO

I agree with everyone about upgrading most importantly and then pursuing the School House, Management or Union work, volunteering, job fairs, etc.

I’ll be honest, and my opinion, I would NOT leave a wholly owned regional of AA to pursue an ACMI. I know we’ve hired a fair amount of guys from the ACMIs but you’ve got a flow to AA in your back pocket. No matter how far off it seems, that is a good thing to have. I would NOT trade that away for an ACMI.

Flying for a Regional that does not have a flow or process to get an interview at a Legacy, I get leaving for an ACMI. I’m not sure I would even do that, but I get it.

Getting more time as a Captain than just the 1,000 PIC will give you more experience, quality experience and will serve you well in your career.

Times are good for pilots and I hope you make it here someday. Enjoy the flying you are doing now and the journey it takes to get hired by a major. Keep yourself marketable to all the Majors, not just FDX. Getting hired by a major airline is a combination of preparation/luck/voodoo and the lottery.

I had a flow and an guaranteed interview through an internship at two different legacies. Having both of those were insurance policies that I appreciated. Having that Flow to AA takes some of the pressure off interviewing knowing you have something to fall back on.

Good luck and again, I hope you make it here. It’s a great place!

Last edited by OKLATEX; 02-20-2019 at 04:37 PM.