View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 06:20 PM
Wheelsoff
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by FlyingHercs View Post
Good luck finding any current, non 20+ year, Navy or Marine Corps big Wing (P-8 or C-130) guy with 4-5k hours. 1600-2200 hrs is about all one could expect if getting out in the 8-12 years of service range. Can’t say I know anyone in the 07’-12’ peer group with much over 2000 hrs.

It’s not the Air Force. Hours aren’t as easy to come by. Guys leaving after a first tour are at around 1300 TT with 500 PIC. Then you have to go to the RAG, flight school (T-6, C-12, or T-44 so slightly less valuable), or manage a second tour to get the rest of those hours. Trying to break 1k PIC in the P-8/C-130 world is a real challenge these days (guys coming in post heavy Iraq and Afghanistan flying) for anyone looking to get out at the end of their original contract.

Maybe the regionals are in all our future...or it’s a good ploy by the Navy/Marine Corps to make us stay longer to get more hours. I don’t know about you, but I’ll take my chances on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Concur. Nowadays, on the AF side, the only guys that have 4-5k heavy hours or 2k fighter hours are the guys that are retiring after 20 years. And to get those kind of hours after 20 years, said individual had to be fairly lucky in their career with the number of flying assignments/flying deployments.

Dudes punching after their 10 year commitments have done well if they have 3k hours (heavy) or 1500 hours (fighter).

I’m a heavy guy flying trainers currently and I’ll be lucky to have 3k total/1500 PIC at my commitment...