View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 05:26 AM
BrownDoubles
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by FlyingHercs View Post
One more question on hours. Does anyone know if the Airlines are actually taking Simulator time into consideration? You have to put it on the app, but does it matter?

The Marine Corps KC-130J no longer uses an FRS. All initial students from flight school go to what is called the Fleet Replacement Detachment (FRD) for 6 months. After six months and about 140 hrs in a full flight simulator (Level D), the students move on the the fleet squadron where they get 4 flights and then a checkride in the aircraft. That’s a significant chunk of time that students (and all the IPs it puts out of a job!) are not getting actual time in the aircraft. Overall, it’s the correct way to train. Cheaper, safer, and more complete EP training. I’m only wondering if it’s putting people in a disadvantaged state when it comes to logbooks.

I’d say the typical fleet guy leaves a VMGR with well over 200 hrs in the sim. Does any of that count/matter to those reviewing applications?

What other military aircraft are using this model now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yet another reason why military (in my experience) hours aren't necessarily representative of flight experience. Over the course of a military career it would be nothing to have 15-20% of your time in a simulator... never happen commercially. Traditionally, simulator time isn't included in flight times -- and I'd hate to be sitting across the table at an interview logbook review attempting to explain it.

Ultimately, HR is taking a gamble with every hire. They hedge their bets when they hire based on previous experience and know the product they are hiring based on past experience. All that to say, the overall experience package is built into the numbers.

Semper Fi!!