View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 08:03 AM
OhSnapAF
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Originally Posted by germanaviator View Post
This all sounds pretty familiar from the other side of the pond.

I wonder if we shouldn't get paid by duty time. That would give scheduling the incentive to make productive plans that don't burn duty time unnecessarily.

But since block hours are the current measure for extra pay at NJA (and proposed at NJE) can you guys tell me how many hours per year are normal for a NJA pilot. Anti Peter gave me a 350-400 number for the Phenom (thanks by the way). Does that sound about right to most guys, including other fleets?

Thanks
Salary pay structures always suck in aviation because it doesn't matter how much or little you work, you get paid the same. So pilots want to work less because they don't get paid by the flight or by the hour, and management doesn't care because they can keep you on the hook forever and it doesn't cost them anything. Now with this IBI you get paid more for the daily routine as long as there is flying involved. Once they get a real handle on how fatigue calls are actually reducing and reorganizing the flying throughout the available pilot group, expect that pay to drop. Fatigue calls are down 70% which means all those pilots are chomping at the bit for a bit more cash, but the flying didn't increase 70% to meet the demand and to have the flying done now, stay the same. Thats why you will see more and more hotel standby and less flying hours on a given tour.

After the hunk of crap that NJASAP put a bow on and sold to the group in 2015, I was really hoping the group would not let that happen again, and would really force management to sit down and get some legit work rule changes. I think lots of us that left were waiting for 2020 because we feel the group deserves it, but boy did this IBI vote take the wind out of the NJA alum. I guess the pilot group got exactly what they asked for, with an astounding yes vote margin, its clear that the vast majority do not want work rule changes, they want the quick fix.

I flew about 400 a year in the Phenom so that sounds right.