View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 09:51 AM
atpcliff
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

Originally Posted by RJSAviator76 View Post
The difference between the two is about whether you call it a tom-ah-to or tom-a-to.

Single-payer system has the government eliminating private insurance
No. Canada is single payer, and has private insurance available.

and having an unelected government bureaucrat choosing what they will or will not cover.
My airline's current health care plan is similar. An unelected insurance worker, or an unelected worker in my airline decides what will be covered.

But hey, you get a choice of a doctor, so shut up and color!
I do NOT have the choice of doctor NOW, unless I want to pay much, much more than if I go to an in-network provider. In Canada, you can walk into any facility, and see any doctor, with the same benefits and costs.

Let's not go into the whole premise of government reimbursements for physicians are so low that it drives doctors out of business.
This CAN be a problem, but it can also be a problem in the US. Currently in the US, many doctors are quitting because of the low pay relative to how much paperwork they have to do, and/or because of restrictions placed on them by the insurance companies. Our great chiropractor retired because he was fed up with the paperwork being out of control. And, unrestricted spending drives ridiculous costs. I had a splinter removed from my hand last summer, and it cost my company almost $10,000.

Single-provider is the same thing except now all the doctors work for the government.

So... one makes you think you have a choice in whom you see, the other one just tells you that everyone you choose is a government doctor.

What do they have in common? Government in control.
I STRONGLY prefer gov't control, where they are supposed to be looking out for my interest, vs. Insurance company control, where I am a mark to be fleeced for the maximum amount possible.

Military? Sure thing. Regular citizenry? Sorry, vehemently opposed to it. THE PEOPLE should be in control of their own destiny, not the government.
Hard to control your own destiny, when you can't afford the health care needed to save your life, or make your life functional.

It should be on the government to provide some basic ground rules and then get the hell out of the way.
Our Health Care System is definitely NOT worth the money we are spending. It is also on an upward trajectory, and will bankrupt Our America unless we CHANGE our system!